Cardiovascular Center of Excellence:
- Zhen Li of the Cardiovascular Center of Excellence received a 2017 ATVB Travel Award for Young Investigators from the American Heart Association. It will be a $500 travel stipend and he will be honored at the 2017 AHA Scientific Sessions in Anaheim, CA.
- Dr. Traci Goodchild was selected as an ah-hoc specialist for the AAALAC. She will be reporting to the University of Texas – Houston as a site inspector to review their laboratories to ensure compliance standards.
- Cardiovascular Center Welcomes, Thomas E. Sharp III, Ph.D. – Dr. Thomas E. Sharp III joined the Cardiovascular Center of Excellence in July as a Postdoctoral Researcher. Dr. Sharp joins us from Temple University, Lewis Katz School of Medicine where he received his Ph.D. while working under renowned professor, John Elrod, Ph.D. He will work alongside both Dr. Lefer and Dr. Goodchild to continue ongoing research.
- Dr. James Campbell was named Physician of the year by Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians August, 2017.
- Dr. Emilio Russo was appointed to the International Educational Program at LSU Health Center.
- Dr. Emilio Russo was promoted to Associate Professor of Clinical Family Medicine on July 1, 2017.
- Dr. Tracy Carlson, clinical psychologist, joined the Kenner Family Medicine Residency Program in August, 2017.
- Dr. Linda K. Oge’ was nominated as Chairman of the Woman’s Foundation Community Education and has membership on the Executive Committee. She currently serves as Chairman of the Grants Committee and a member of the Finance Committee.
- UHC Sports Medicine Program began 8/1/2017 and Dr. Amanda Phillips-Savoy appointed as PD.
- Dr. Coleman volunteered at Ozanam Inn Student-Run Free Clinic September 9, 2017.
- Resident and Faculty members of the LSUHSC NO Family Medicine Residency in Lake Charles joined disaster relief efforts by helping to provide medical care for hundreds of evacuees displaced to local shelters from Hurricane Harvey.
- Dr. Bryan Barootes and the residents of LSUHSC NO Family Medicine Residency in Lake Charles provided Fall Sports Participation Physicals to the athletes of McNeese State University. They also provide ongoing medical services for university athletic events including football, volleyball and soccer.
- Dr. Danette Null presented “Update on Preventative Medicine at the LAFP’s 70th Annual Assembly and Exhibition in New Orleans.
- Dr. Alan LeBato presented “The FPIN Approach to Scholarly Activity at the LAFP’s 70th Annual Assembly and Exhibition in New Orleans.
- Dr. Marilyn Marshall and Dr. Danielle Fuselier will be presenting at Greater Baton Rouge/Lafayette Grand Rounds 9/28/17 “Assessing Atypical Arthritis.
- Dr. April Weliever and Dr. James Hyatt presented “Sepis Project” at LSU Health Annual QI/PI Forum in New Orleans.
- Our work “Investigating Novel Treatment Strategies for Virus-Associated Lymphomas” was selected and highlighted in DoD Peer Reviewed Cancer Research Program (PRCRP) 2017 Program Book.
- LSUHSC was invited to join the national Precision Medicine Initiative, now named “All of Us”. All of Us, which seeks to gather information about the health of 1 million or more participants living in the US aims to build the largest health research database in US history. The database will be accessible to researchers throughout the country to drive studies on a variety of health conditions, which may help lead to more individualized approaches to the prevention and treatment of diseases. Dr. Miele will be the PI for LSUHSC, with the assistance of Alix D’Angelo and Camille Fournet from the Department of Genetics. 50 participants will be connected over the first year, ramping up to a much larger number over the following years.
- Dr. Rakesh K. Srivastava and Dr. Sharmila Shankar have identified a novel protein involved in colon cancer: Press release for the discovery:
Microbiology, Immunology, and Parasitology
- Drs. Alison Quayle, Ashok Aiyar and Chris Taylor were awarded a new R01 grant from NIH/NIAID in July entitled: “Consequences of vaginal microbiota on IFNγ-mediated clearance of Chlamydia trachomatis”.
- MIP faculty, staff and students worked together to prepare and serve lunch for 280 homeless people at the Rebuild Center at St. Joseph Church on Wednesday, August 30. The Rebuild Center is a place where the homeless and those in need are treated with respect and dignity as they get the services they require. Volunteers are needed to provide lunch daily at St. Josephs – they rely on groups to volunteer their time, effort and resources.
- Four first year graduate students were welcomed to the MIP department on Tuesday, August 1st: Caleb Ardizzone, Celeste Faia, Jared Sheehan and Diane Wellems. The students participated in a one-day departmental orientation outlining the policies and procedures of the MIP graduate program. This was followed by a one-week lab orientation in which students were given presentations by faculty members about their field of research and participated in a ‘progressive’ series of experiments in faculty labs to help illustrate the variety of research techniques and approaches commonly used in the department.
Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- The LSU Health New Orleans Department of Otolaryngology has been nationally ranked as among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report in its 2017-18 “Best Hospitals” rankings. Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center earned a national ranking in the specialty of Ear, Nose & Throat. The specialty ranks #37 out of more than 4,500 medical centers evaluated in the U.S., placing it in the top 1% nationally.
- Dr. Robert Peden, Clinical Associate Professor, was appointed Medical Director, LSU Health Baton Rouge, Ambulatory Surgical Services and Clinics, August 2017.
- LSU Otolaryngology Department held the annual Intern Bootcamp at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, August 14-25, 2017.
- Three new faculty members have joined the Department of Otolaryngology over the last several months, including two Pediatric Otolaryngologists and a Laryngologist. Dr. Jairo Torres, Assistant Professor, joined the Department in March 2017 and is a Pediatric Otolaryngologist practicing at Children’s Hospital in New Orleans. Dr. Adele Evans, Associate Professor, joined the Department in September 2017 and is also practicing at Children’s Hospital as a Pediatric Otolaryngologist. Dr. Lacey Adkins, Assistant Professor joined the Department in September 2017 and is practicing at Our Lady of the Lake RMC in Baton Rouge as a Laryngologist.
- The LSU Department of Otolaryngology held an Oral Cancer Screening at UMC New Orleans, September 22, 2017.
- Dr. Anna Pou, Clinical Professor and Vice Chair presented at the American Academy of Otolaryngology-HNSF, “Palliative Care in the Outpatient Setting: Focus on Head and Neck Cancer”. Chicago, Illinois, September 2017.
- Dr. Anna Pou, Clinical Professor and Vice Chair presented a poster at the American Academy of Otolaryngology-HNSF, “Papillary Thyroid Cancer in a Thyroglossal Duct Cyst: A Case Report”. Chicago, Illinois, September 2017.
- Dr. Rohan Walvekar, Associate Professor, Course Faculty at Sialendoscopy and Minimally-Invasive Salivary Gland Surgery Course at The University of Chicago Medicine & Biological Sciences, Chicago, IL, September 9, 2017.
- Dr. Rohan Walvekar, Associate Professor, presented at the American Academy of Otolaryngology-HNSF, “Sialendoscopy: Beginner’s Basics to Advanced Challenges” and “Sialendoscopy: Getting Started, Solving Problems”. Chicago, Illinois, September 2017.
- At the Louisiana American Academy of Pediatrics Acadiana Potpourri Annual Meeting in August, Dr. Bonnie Desselle was awarded the LA-AAP Elizabeth Cassinelli Award, given in recognition of special efforts relevant to women’s careers in Pediatrics. Bonnie was recognized by the State Chapter for her two decades of work in training, mentoring and motivating young women to enter the field of pediatrics.
- Several Pediatrics residents packed boxes at Second Harvest Food Bank over the summer to kick off the Tigercare Clinic’s summer meal program to give away meals to children at the clinic. This program was created by and headed by Dr. Rachel Herdes, 3rd year Peds Resident.
- Physiology will be offering a new course: PHYSIO 289, Neurophysiology, Director: Dr. Scott Edward